A functional merging of the style and waterproofness of Waxed Cotton, with the exceedingly useful features and detailed quality of Aerostich Messenger Bags. All sizes are constructed with a seamless bottom for maximum durability. Inside each bag is a usefully sized organizer pocket and “clip-on” key loop. These bags are soft, supple and feel like an old favorite from the first moment you strap one on. With use the waxed cotton develops its uniquely experienced personalized look. This continues to improve with use.
The 2" nylon shoulder strap adjusts quickly and easily with a cam lock buckle for a secure, comfortable all-day fit. An oversize removable load-spreading pad (in matching waxed cotton, with a grippy Ultrasude surface) provides all-day carrying comfort.
The large flap closes with both a wide strip of hook and loop as well as adjustable quick-release buckles to accommodate larger loads. There's also a handy carrying handle on top of the flap that you'll find everyday useful. Visibility is assured with a wide strip of 3M Scotchlite™ reflective running across the flap. Four sizes: Letter (9"×3.75"×9"/12"), Dispatch (12"×7"×12"/18"), Courier (12"×7"×18"/23"), Parcel (14"×9"×18"/26"). Black, Brown, Green, Yellow, or Orange.
- Waxed Cotton, Why?
- Northern Waters Smokehaus Chooses Aerostich Messenger Bags
- Day Pack Comparison Chart
In 2014 Abhi, the creator of of bike-urious.com, reviewed his Aerostich messenger bag here.
Two years later in 2016 bike-urious.com contributor Cas V. also reviewed his Aerostich messenger bag here.
Two unique riders in distant locations with different riding patterns with two usefully different stories. No spoiler alert needed…both stories are revealing.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (8)
- Great bagReview by Joe
- Two weeks in and really liking the courier bag. I thought it was to big when i first rec'd it but it's perfect. I use it to commute into Boston on the bike and also on the train and it's comfortable in both environments. (Posted on 9/17/15)
- Waxed Cotton CourierReview by MotoRenter
- I commute via moto between Tacoma and Seattle daily. I have had this bag for 2 weeks now and love it. There is enough room for the kitchen sink and everything else I may need. It stays dry inside even on the wettest commutes on I-5. I am impressed, to say the least, with the quality and attention to detail shown by Aerostich. (Posted on 3/28/14)
- Aerostich Waxed Cotton Courier BagReview by L8br8kr
Is this bag a model of utilitarian function? Robust and useful? Or, the height of chic moto snobbery - "distressed waxed cotton handmade messenger bag"?
It is both and more. 'Nuf said. (Posted on 12/15/13)
- Aerostich Customer ServiceReview by customerservice
The strap area of the bag that ripped away from the body has been redesigned to prevent this type of damage.
The bag referenced in the review below was repaired at no charge. (Posted on 5/23/13)
- DisappointedReview by Daniel
I received the waxed cotton courier bags as a gift. The workmanship and the utility of the bag are great. For the last 3 months, I have used it to carry various items to and from my sales job. Unfortunately in my case one of the nylon flap securing straps has ripped the body of the bag.
I contacted Aerostich about having it repaired and true to Aerostich's great customer service I received and immediate response. I will be returning it for repair, but my confidence in the waxed cotton durability is gone. If I had to choose again I would buy the proven nylon version. (Posted on 3/17/13)
- endless roomReview by Fesman
- i retired. then i went back to work. covering 20 counties in NY from the Canadian border to the PA line. got myself an expensive brand name leather briefcase, which i love, but the "brief" part of that product description is so true. the waxed cotton courier bag is my mobile filing cabinet. looks sharp, carries comfortably, and it swallows everything. throw in the organizer pocket for all the little odds and ends so you don't have to fish around in the bottom. the natural way it shapes around your back makes it possible to carry a second item on the same shoulder (not recommended when on your scoot). (Posted on 11/23/12)
- Great bagsReview by Paul
- These are great bags, I use a letter bag every day and bought the courier bag to use when the letter bag isn't big enough. (Posted on 8/17/12)
- Falstaff messenger bagReview by S.Hershey
- I received this bag about a month ago along with the stabilizer strap (necessary to keep the load controlled)..I love it!..I also bought the organizer for small stuff...I ride my bicycle daily, and this has replaced my 8 yr old Timbuk 2.. its a little wider, and much better looking, I've got tons of comments..,I live in a college town, so messenger bags are kinda the norm.., the shoulder pad is thick & super comfortable .great for when I'm just wearing a t-shirt., just a well built, good looking, functional piece...another winner from Aerostich... (Posted on 5/31/12)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
These are the Original Modern Messenger Bags
The first ‘Courier’ size Aerostich messenger bag was introduced in 1985. This was a few years before other messenger bag companies like Timbuk2, Chrome (and others) even existed. Other outdoor fashion companies such as Patagonia and North Face also introduced their messenger bags many years later.
In 1985 only two similar bags were available. Both were produced in small numbers for professional bicycle messengers only. (Everyone else who carried things by bicycle or motorcycle wore small back packs.) We patterned the first Aerostich Courier bag closely after the ‘proven-by-messengers’ bag.
Both of the early commercial-use messenger bags were made of cotton canvas, and they had no hook-and-loop (Velcro) on their lids, no reflective material anywhere, no strap-length cam adjusters and no side-release flap buckles for oversize loads. Aerostich was the first to incorporate these features and also to apply modern materials like Cordura nylon, hook-and-loop, 3M reflectives, plastic buckles and strap adjusters to this style bag.
Aerostich messenger bags still remain more strongly made than common bags sold at bicycle shops, outdoor stores and college bookstores. Because they are made for commercial users they are tougher, so they last a lot longer.
The construction details are different, too. An example of this is how the top flap is constructed. Common messenger bags connect the inner flap's fabric to the outer fabric with an inexpensive 'binding' stitched around the outside edges of the flap. This is fast and easy, but not especially durable. Every Aerostich messenger bag flap is first sewn inside-out, then turned right side-out and edge-stitched the same way a dress shirt collar is made. This looks 'right' and lasts much longer.
Another example is the Aerostich oversize shoulder pad. It is oversized to better spread your load better, and is highly detailed and carefully constructed of several materials, too. If you carry a messenger bag every day, you’ll want this pad.
Aerostich messenger bags are also all made in Duluth Minnesota. There really is a difference…
A Mr. Subjective History on Aerostich Messenger Bags
Aerostich messenger bags are one of my favorite Aerostich products. They differ substantially from all of the other kinds of similar bags you’ve seen elsewhere. Essentially, these are a lot heavier-duty.
The primary reason we like messenger bags so much because they are so easy to use for urban and utility motorcycle riding. They go on-and-off quick and are versatile. One of these bags hangs empty, near my riding gear, so I can grab it whenever the destination involves picking up something, or whenever I need to carry something fast without using bungees. Messenger bags are a key technology for every day motorcycling…An invaluable tool.
These bags are the first ever to incorporate advanced, modern materials: Cordura Nylon, nylon webbing, Fastex quick-release buckles and strap adjusters, Velcro and 3M Scotchlight reflective. The only other bags of this type when these were created used basic canvas, and were carried mostly by the document couriers in larger cities.
The official introduction of the first Aerostich messenger bag happened nearly thirty years ago at one of the old Motorcycle Dealernews trade shows. I remember standing at the end of a table in a small private conference room at one of the hotels, giving an informal presentation to Motorcyclist Magazine’s then Editor-in-Chief Mitch Boehm and several other staff editors. “The daypack is dead!” I begun, trying to sound as declarative as possible. “The era of the messenger bag is beginning.” A colorful selection of the Aerostich messenger bags spread across the table. As some editors started examining them I explained why this nearly unknown style of bag was so great for motorcyclists. And why I believed they’d rule in the future. And why these were made exactly the way they were. It felt as though we were pioneering something entirely new.
A few years later other messenger bag companies started up and their far less heavy-duty versions of this type of bag quickly became a college bookstore commodity. Today hundreds of other messenger bag variations are available from dozens of companies…but the Aerostich messenger bags (by size: 'letter', 'dispatch', 'courier', and 'parcel') are the original.
About ten years ago we created a new range of wax cotton messenger bags in several colors, added the color pink to the Cordura line and developed an optional internal organizer pocket system for all of the three larger-sized bags. An Aerostich messenger bag is a handcrafted American-made tool for carrying stuff when riding a motorcycle.