Motorcycling’s sensations are easy to experience, but harder to explain. How can riding be so exciting and yet relaxing at the same time - and why does this combination make us feel so good? Rather than question this, most motorcyclers simply settle into the saddle, turn the key, grab the handlebars, and enjoy the magically uplifting experience.
Here, Steven L. Thompson examines some of the most nuanced aspects of the rider/machine relationship. With research and analytics he disentangles our psycho-biological connections with the kinesthetics of riding from a complex mix of cultural elements surrounding motorcycling. Here are ideas that point us toward a better understanding of why motorcycling is important, and why riding has such a powerful influence on us.
In the author’s own words, Bodies in Motion “…is written both for motorcyclists and non-motorcyclists, and thus longtime riders will inevitably find some material familiar, though I have tried to ensure that the context is analyzed to highlight aspects of the commonalities that are usually overlooked or misunderstood…Bodies in Motion thus explores what evolutionary science, psychology, human-factors research and engineering research can tell us about why some people seek certain kinds of mobile experiences and others do not.
The overwhelming importance of automobility to our way of life means that human nature, as science can show it to be, is vital to our continuing attempts to cope with the costs that automobility has thrust upon us, along with its benefits.” Foreward by Andy Goldfine. Softcover, 6"×9", 400+ pp., b/w illustrations. USA.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (1)
- "Bodies in Motion" comes closest to explaining why we ride.Review by Thomas
- "Bodies in Motion" comes the closest of anything I have ever read in explaining why we ride. Author Steven L. Thompson goes back to the earliest origins of why we like to be in motion and why it is in our DNA. He also explores the spiritual value of riding. His book is very well written and is based on extensive research. I would recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in why we ride. It should become a classic. (Posted on 4/20/10)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- Eco Saver Delivery Times: 10-14 days
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
“what I believe to be the most important book ever written on the subject (of motorycycling)”
-- Melissa Holbrook Pierson - author of The Perfect Vehicle: What is it about motorcycles? and The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing