Nothing thrashes kindling wood like this tool. Possessed of a nice “heft,” this thick bladed machete works great for chopping up deadfall wood for the fire. Equipped with a .25" thick ×10" long parkerized black carbon steel blade and heavy-duty Cordura and leather sheath, the Ontario SP-8 is a very useful, simple and formidable heavy-duty device. If you cannot make a great pile of firewood with it, you should give up on camping entirely. 1 lb. 3oz.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (5)
- SP-8 Moto Camp Multi-Tool Review by Longshadow
More compact and capable than a hatchet for any camp chore more refined than a local rock can do. How often do you need a full-blown hammer to pound tent stakes into the dirt of a campsite? Rarely, I'd wager. Tap stakes in with the flat of the blade, then grab a rock for heavy pounding, if required.
The SP-8 is full tang. The 1095 carbon steel runs the full length and width of the handle MINUS an allowance for the excellent & durable handle material. The brass bushing you see at the butt of the tool is entirely through the steel tang. With two fingers of weak hand on the butt end and the strong hand on the forward end of the handle, a 12" - 18" fire log can be split readily, equally as well as any hatchet could do. The 1/2" steel will take any baton bashing needed for the smaller stuff without a whimper.
Spine is a rasp, not a saw. Notching for tent/lean-to framing or fireside/water's edge construction is simplified with two whacks using a baton technique to define notch width then hew out the notch with the rasp teeth.
Advantage of 1095 carbon is edge retention. This beasty gets razor sharp like all the 1095 knives out there. Yep, in a pinch, it'll even clean fish if you keep that top corner edge sharp enough to poke with.
Bonus of 1095 carbon steel is, if all else fails, a local piece of chert/quartz/flint will generate a spark for emergency fire starting in your dry tinder bundle. A 1055 carbon steel axe doesn't work as well for that.
Put one in the bottom of your pannier along with a portable saw plus your Leatherman or favorite brand multi-tool. These take little space, and weight may be offset by utility. Engage brain when needed and you'll have all the camp tools you'll need in the boonies for weeks at a time.
I used mine on Cascade Mt. rides over the last few years following the advice of Mr. Subjective. It works well.
(Posted on 5/5/15)
- Not exactly as describedReview by Nick
- The blade is strong and hefty, but let's be serious: the serrated edge is totally useless as a saw. The weight of the tool makes it semi-adequate for hacking small branches to pieces, or breaking kindling - but it's in no was a brush-clearing tool, nor can it fell "small trees with no effort". I took it out of the box, and put it right back in it and shipped it back for a full refund. (Posted on 2/14/13)
- Truly a Multi-toolReview by wayne
- If you really need to lean on a piece of equipment, I'll take this one! The saws not great but, the rest is built for life. (Posted on 12/12/12)
- Great ToolReview by Richard
- I have used this tool to camp and clear our property. This thing is fantastic. It is heavy enough to follow through on your swings , while light enough to not tire you out. Great for splitting or carving a new tent stake. I have cut down 4" trees with little effort. Every camper needs this machete. (Posted on 10/7/10)
- An excellent toolReview by Rick
- I was immediately impressed with the quality of this machete. It is handy for chopping wood for campfires or lean-tos. The serrated back actually works as a saw very well. The handle fits perfectly in the hand. Very well made out of quality materials, even the sheath. I highly recommened it. It's worth every penny. (Posted on 11/23/09)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- Eco Saver Delivery Times: 10-14 days
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.