A functional merging of the style and waterproofness of Waxed Cotton, with the exceedingly useful features and detailed quality of Aerostich Messenger Bags. All sizes are constructed with a seamless bottom for maximum durability. Inside each bag is a usefully sized organizer pocket and “clip-on” key loop. These bags are soft, supple and feel like an old favorite from the first moment you strap one on. With use the waxed cotton develops its uniquely experienced personalized look. This continues to improve with use.
The 2" nylon shoulder strap adjusts quickly and easily with a cam lock buckle for a secure, comfortable all-day fit. An oversize removable load-spreading pad (in matching waxed cotton, with a grippy Ultrasude surface) provides all-day carrying comfort.
The large flap closes with both a wide strip of hook and loop as well as adjustable quick-release buckles to accommodate larger loads. There's also a handy carrying handle on top of the flap that you'll find everyday useful. Visibility is assured with a wide strip of 3M Scotchlite™ reflective running across the flap. Four sizes: Letter (9"×3.75"×9"/12"), Dispatch (12"×7"×12"/18"), Courier (12"×7"×18"/23"), Parcel (14"×9"×18"/26"). Black, Brown, Green, Yellow, or Orange.
- Waxed Cotton, Why?
- Northern Waters Smokehaus Chooses Aerostich Messenger Bags
- Day Pack Comparison Chart
Read the review of the Aerostich Messenger Bag by Abhi Eswarappa on bike-urious.com.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (8)
- Great bagReview by Joe
- Two weeks in and really liking the courier bag. I thought it was to big when i first rec'd it but it's perfect. I use it to commute into Boston on the bike and also on the train and it's comfortable in both environments. (Posted on 9/17/15)
- Waxed Cotton CourierReview by MotoRenter
- I commute via moto between Tacoma and Seattle daily. I have had this bag for 2 weeks now and love it. There is enough room for the kitchen sink and everything else I may need. It stays dry inside even on the wettest commutes on I-5. I am impressed, to say the least, with the quality and attention to detail shown by Aerostich. (Posted on 3/28/14)
- Aerostich Waxed Cotton Courier BagReview by L8br8kr
Is this bag a model of utilitarian function? Robust and useful? Or, the height of chic moto snobbery - "distressed waxed cotton handmade messenger bag"?
It is both and more. 'Nuf said. (Posted on 12/15/13)
- Aerostich Customer ServiceReview by customerservice
The strap area of the bag that ripped away from the body has been redesigned to prevent this type of damage.
The bag referenced in the review below was repaired at no charge. (Posted on 5/23/13)
- DisappointedReview by Daniel
I received the waxed cotton courier bags as a gift. The workmanship and the utility of the bag are great. For the last 3 months, I have used it to carry various items to and from my sales job. Unfortunately in my case one of the nylon flap securing straps has ripped the body of the bag.
I contacted Aerostich about having it repaired and true to Aerostich's great customer service I received and immediate response. I will be returning it for repair, but my confidence in the waxed cotton durability is gone. If I had to choose again I would buy the proven nylon version. (Posted on 3/17/13)
- endless roomReview by Fesman
- i retired. then i went back to work. covering 20 counties in NY from the Canadian border to the PA line. got myself an expensive brand name leather briefcase, which i love, but the "brief" part of that product description is so true. the waxed cotton courier bag is my mobile filing cabinet. looks sharp, carries comfortably, and it swallows everything. throw in the organizer pocket for all the little odds and ends so you don't have to fish around in the bottom. the natural way it shapes around your back makes it possible to carry a second item on the same shoulder (not recommended when on your scoot). (Posted on 11/23/12)
- Great bagsReview by Paul
- These are great bags, I use a letter bag every day and bought the courier bag to use when the letter bag isn't big enough. (Posted on 8/17/12)
- Falstaff messenger bagReview by S.Hershey
- I received this bag about a month ago along with the stabilizer strap (necessary to keep the load controlled)..I love it!..I also bought the organizer for small stuff...I ride my bicycle daily, and this has replaced my 8 yr old Timbuk 2.. its a little wider, and much better looking, I've got tons of comments..,I live in a college town, so messenger bags are kinda the norm.., the shoulder pad is thick & super comfortable .great for when I'm just wearing a t-shirt., just a well built, good looking, functional piece...another winner from Aerostich... (Posted on 5/31/12)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- Eco Saver Delivery Times: 10-14 days
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
These are the Original Modern Messenger Bags
The first ‘Courier’ size Aerostich messenger bag was introduced in 1985. This was a few years before other messenger bag companies like Timbuk2, Chrome (and others) even existed. Other outdoor fashion companies such as Patagonia and North Face also introduced their messenger bags many years later.
In 1985 only two similar bags were available. Both were produced in small numbers for professional bicycle messengers only. (Everyone else who carried things by bicycle or motorcycle wore small back packs.) We patterned the first Aerostich Courier bag closely after the ‘proven-by-messengers’ bag.
Both of the early commercial-use messenger bags were made of cotton canvas, and they had no hook-and-loop (Velcro) on their lids, no reflective material anywhere, no strap-length cam adjusters and no side-release flap buckles for oversize loads. Aerostich was the first to incorporate these features and also to apply modern materials like Cordura nylon, hook-and-loop, 3M reflectives, plastic buckles and strap adjusters to this style bag.
Aerostich messenger bags still remain more strongly made than common bags sold at bicycle shops, outdoor stores and college bookstores. Because they are made for commercial users they are tougher, so they last a lot longer.
The construction details are different, too. An example of this is how the top flap is constructed. Common messenger bags connect the inner flap's fabric to the outer fabric with an inexpensive 'binding' stitched around the outside edges of the flap. This is fast and easy, but not especially durable. Every Aerostich messenger bag flap is first sewn inside-out, then turned right side-out and edge-stitched the same way a dress shirt collar is made. This looks 'right' and lasts much longer.
Another example is the Aerostich oversize shoulder pad. It is oversized to better spread your load better, and is highly detailed and carefully constructed of several materials, too. If you carry a messenger bag every day, you’ll want this pad.
Aerostich messenger bags are also all made in Duluth Minnesota by a motorcycle rider named Jim. He has been at Aerostich hand-making these bags start-to-finish for more than fifteen years. And rides a black Kawasaki Concourse, too fast sometimes. There really is a difference…
A Mr. Subjective History on Aerostich Messenger Bags
The Aerostich messenger bags are one of my most-favorite Aerostich products. We have been making them for over twenty five years, and they differ substantially from all of the other kinds of similar bags. Essentially, ours are a lot heavier-duty...
I like messenger bags so much because they are so easy to use for urban and utility motorcycle riding. They go on-and-off quick and are versatile. One of these bags hangs empty, near my riding gear so I can grab it whenever the destination involves picking up something, or when I need to carry something fast, without using bungees. Many of our customers use them for their routine daily commute, too. Messenger bags are a key technology for motorcycling personal mobility…An invaluable tool.
Our bags were the first ones ever made of a synthetic material (Cordura Nylon and reinforced vinyl). When we began, there were two or three others made of coarse canvas. Ours was also the first courier bag to employ Velcro (hook&loop) anywhere, and to have any 3M Scotchlight reflective, and to have a handle on the flap, and to use ITW Fastex side-release buckles. What was available elsewhere was crude -- bags made in small numbers in cities like New York, mainly for working bicycle couriers.
About a year after introducing Aerostich Messenger Bags, I remember being at the Motorcycle Dealernews trade show standing before Motorcyclist Magazine Editor-in-Chief Mitch Boehm, and several other editors, all of us in a small conference room in one of the hotels there,…giving a presentation. And the internet was years in the future still.
“The daypack is dead!” I began, trying to sound as declarative as possible. “The era of the messenger bag is now beginning.” I then explained why these still largely-unknown types of bags were so great for motorcyclists. And why they’d rule in the future. And why the Aerostich courier bags were made they way they were. It felt as though we were pioneering something entirely new.
A few years after we started making Messenger bags, other companies like Timbuktu (and many others) were started, and they made lighter-weight versions of messenger bags a common college bookstore commodity. About a decade later Chrome -- another company – added some contemporary hipster style and an automobile seat-belt buckle to the shoulder strap. And today there are countless other varieties from dozens of companies.
But the Aerostich messenger bag line (by size: 'letter', 'dispatch', 'courier', and 'parcel') remains the real-deal and ‘the original’ in terms of function, utility and durability. They are still the very best of this kind of bag available anywhere.
Recently we introduced a wax cotton variation in several colors. And a few years ago we added pink to the available colors of the Cordura models, and developed an optional internal organizer pocket system (available for the three larger sized bags).
Many specific patterning and stitching details set ours apart from the others. (One example - the lid-edge is turned and then hand topstitched. This is how a button-down shirt collar is made. It's neater, stronger and more expensive to do it this way. It makes a better flap. Almost everyone else's bags use cheaper machine-bound edging.)
Lastly, a special feature of our bags that I think is pretty cool is that for over fifteen years Aerostich messenger bags have been made by one individual here at Aerostich. And this person is a life-long motorcycle rider. During the years he's been employed here he's owned three or four different bikes. Recently he’s been riding a black Kawasaki Concourse. And he’s already been to North Carolina to visit his daughter and grandchildren on it a few times.
When you buy an Aerostich messenger bag, you are getting a hand-made classic American product, and an incredibly tough, practical, good bag.