A functional merging of the style and waterproofness of Waxed Cotton, with the exceedingly useful features and detailed quality of Aerostich Messenger Bags. All sizes are constructed with a seamless bottom for maximum durability. Inside each bag is a usefully sized organizer pocket and “clip-on” key loop. These bags are soft, supple and feel like an old favorite from the first moment you strap one on. With use the waxed cotton develops its uniquely experienced personalized look. This continues to improve with use.
The 2" nylon shoulder strap adjusts quickly and easily with a cam lock buckle for a secure, comfortable all-day fit. An oversize removable load-spreading pad (in matching waxed cotton, with a grippy Ultrasude surface) provides all-day carrying comfort.
The large flap closes with both a wide strip of hook and loop as well as adjustable quick-release buckles to accommodate larger loads. There's also a handy carrying handle on top of the flap that you'll find everyday useful. Visibility is assured with a wide strip of 3M Scotchlite™ reflective running across the flap. Four sizes: Letter (9"×3.75"×9"/12"), Dispatch (12"×7"×12"/18"), Courier (12"×7"×18"/23"), Parcel (14"×9"×18"/26"). Black, Brown, Green, Yellow, or Orange.
- Waxed Cotton, Why?
- Northern Waters Smokehaus Chooses Aerostich Messenger Bags
- Day Pack Comparison Chart
Read the review of the Aerostich Messenger Bag by Abhi Eswarappa on bike-urious.com.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (10)
- Waxed dispatch bagReview by Mike
This is a great bag.
Well made, quality materials, great size, comfortable and stable while riding, there is nothing not to love about it.
Very happy with it.
***** Review (Posted on 4/30/16)
- Don't even know it's thereReview by Pete
- This thing is beautiful. It's SLIGHTLY smaller than I wanted in the deep area (front to back) on the bottom, but I think I can work around it. It holds a Dell 610 work laptop perfectly. I've ridden to work and back twice now and no matter what I've loaded in it (shoes, clothes, gym stuff, lunch, papers, glasses, etc... in various combinations) I CAN'T feel it off the back of my right hip. It's the envy of other riders, and the curiosity of everyone else... ("Why does it have that big reflector strip?"). It's my new favorite 'Stich product, knocking my Darien's back to 2nd. (Posted on 6/8/15)
- Works well on or of a bikeReview by Mapes
- To be honest I'm no longer a bike commuter. However I needed a good laptop bag and one that would secure my stuff even while riding the occasional commute. This bag did this all awesomely. I love the way it looks ( although I kinda think it has a "Logan's Run" kinda look). However why I wanted to write this review is recently I used this bag while shooting sporting clays...in the pouring rain... for 5 hours. This bag rocked even that. It kept my ammo dry! (Posted on 12/3/14)
- Love it!Review by Tom
- Have a cordura Courier (the stylish hi-viz of course!), and an ancient " floppy material" Dispatch in Blue Thought I'd try something a bit different. The waxed cotton is great! Has a feel to it that is hard to describe.....feels, um, "good". Still not sure I like it better than my old Dispatch, but its a very close call! (Posted on 9/26/14)
- Love it!Review by 2007FJRpilot
I love this bag! I opted for the Waxed Cotton because of the waterproof character, and the Dispatch Bag size perfectly fits my 15.4" laptop, with a couple of inches to spare. This bag will hold substantially more than you might expect, and is good-looking, stable and waterproof.
It actually looks good enough to take into meetings and people continuously comment on how "cool" it is and want to know about Aerostich, which gives me an opening to talk about motorcycle commuting! (Posted on 3/17/14)
- Love the Dispatch Bag!Review by Parker
- This is my second Aerostich messenger bag. My first was a Courier bag that I used a lot for motorcycle commuting. Perfect for carrying a change of shoes, lunch, and work-related papers. I also ride bicycles and wanted something smaller to carry papers, notebooks, etc. to local meetings. I chose the Dispatch bag to be sure i had enough room for full 8 1/2 X 11" papers. It''s plenty big when opened up; maybe a little larger than I really needed. It's beautifully made, and the waxed cotton has a better feel for rolling on my townie bike. I'm very happy with it. (Posted on 12/8/13)
- Excellent bag for business and casual useReview by Danno
- I'd seen these bags online and in the catalog, but was never quite enticed enough to purchase. I attended the DC event in late Sep, and they had 'em on display. I was impressed enough to purchase one online a week later. As is often the case with 'Stich products, mere photos don't do this item justice. it's well built. Beyond that, it has a very sharp look to it, making it excellent for both work and casual use. I've already used it plenty of times for work use, attending meetings with it. But, it also is slick enough (the waxed cotton is quite unique) for casual use. I'm a 2-strap backpack kind of guy on a bike, but I've tried this bag several times now on a bike, and it rides quite well. All in all, a terrific all-around bag and a very good value. (Posted on 12/3/13)
- Nice bag, Aerostich QualityReview by PMC
- Bought this great bag for smaller work/travel. The quality you expect from these guys, waxed material is top notch. If you look around at other bags, you will notice this is very well priced too. Buy the organizer, very well designed and useful. (Posted on 6/15/13)
- Waxed cotton dispatch bag - exceptionalReview by robert
- I've carried a Aerostich letter bag for years, with the organizer pocket insert. It's been perfect as a place to have the wallet, eyeglass case, iphone, etc always handy. Sort of a mini-briefcase. Deciding something a bit bigger would be nice, I ordered the next size up, the Dispatch, in the waxed cotton fabric. It's extremely well made, with perfect stitching and great design. The size is about three times the letter size - bigger than I expected, but not cumbersome. A couple of books from the library - swallows them with ease. A box of #10 envelopes from the stationer - don't even know it's there. I could pack for an overnight stay in this! I think the velcro closure panel is too large, so I reduced it with a couple of stripes of sew-on velco hook strips. Makes it easier to open. The waxed cotton fabric is very attractive, and softens the utilitarian look of the standard nylon fabric, making it very stylish. It comes with a strap pad, which I put aside until needed. Overall, a great value. (Posted on 3/16/13)
- Aerostich Waxed Cotton Dispatch BagReview by Phil
This bag is great! It fits perfect and does not move around. It is very well made. Great for running errands around town. It keeps things dry although I've not had it out on the highway in a downpour.
I've only had one problem......my wife keeps taking it! (Posted on 6/7/12)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
These are the Original Modern Messenger Bags
The first ‘Courier’ size Aerostich messenger bag was introduced in 1985. This was a few years before other messenger bag companies like Timbuk2, Chrome (and others) even existed. Other outdoor fashion companies such as Patagonia and North Face also introduced their messenger bags many years later.
In 1985 only two similar bags were available. Both were produced in small numbers for professional bicycle messengers only. (Everyone else who carried things by bicycle or motorcycle wore small back packs.) We patterned the first Aerostich Courier bag closely after the ‘proven-by-messengers’ bag.
Both of the early commercial-use messenger bags were made of cotton canvas, and they had no hook-and-loop (Velcro) on their lids, no reflective material anywhere, no strap-length cam adjusters and no side-release flap buckles for oversize loads. Aerostich was the first to incorporate these features and also to apply modern materials like Cordura nylon, hook-and-loop, 3M reflectives, plastic buckles and strap adjusters to this style bag.
Aerostich messenger bags still remain more strongly made than common bags sold at bicycle shops, outdoor stores and college bookstores. Because they are made for commercial users they are tougher, so they last a lot longer.
The construction details are different, too. An example of this is how the top flap is constructed. Common messenger bags connect the inner flap's fabric to the outer fabric with an inexpensive 'binding' stitched around the outside edges of the flap. This is fast and easy, but not especially durable. Every Aerostich messenger bag flap is first sewn inside-out, then turned right side-out and edge-stitched the same way a dress shirt collar is made. This looks 'right' and lasts much longer.
Another example is the Aerostich oversize shoulder pad. It is oversized to better spread your load better, and is highly detailed and carefully constructed of several materials, too. If you carry a messenger bag every day, you’ll want this pad.
Aerostich messenger bags are also all made in Duluth Minnesota by a motorcycle rider named Jim. He has been at Aerostich hand-making these bags start-to-finish for more than fifteen years. And rides a black Kawasaki Concourse, too fast sometimes. There really is a difference…
A Mr. Subjective History on Aerostich Messenger Bags
The Aerostich messenger bags are one of my most-favorite Aerostich products. We have been making them for over twenty five years, and they differ substantially from all of the other kinds of similar bags. Essentially, ours are a lot heavier-duty...
I like messenger bags so much because they are so easy to use for urban and utility motorcycle riding. They go on-and-off quick and are versatile. One of these bags hangs empty, near my riding gear so I can grab it whenever the destination involves picking up something, or when I need to carry something fast, without using bungees. Many of our customers use them for their routine daily commute, too. Messenger bags are a key technology for motorcycling personal mobility…An invaluable tool.
Our bags were the first ones ever made of a synthetic material (Cordura Nylon and reinforced vinyl). When we began, there were two or three others made of coarse canvas. Ours was also the first courier bag to employ Velcro (hook&loop) anywhere, and to have any 3M Scotchlight reflective, and to have a handle on the flap, and to use ITW Fastex side-release buckles. What was available elsewhere was crude -- bags made in small numbers in cities like New York, mainly for working bicycle couriers.
About a year after introducing Aerostich Messenger Bags, I remember being at the Motorcycle Dealernews trade show standing before Motorcyclist Magazine Editor-in-Chief Mitch Boehm, and several other editors, all of us in a small conference room in one of the hotels there,…giving a presentation. And the internet was years in the future still.
“The daypack is dead!” I began, trying to sound as declarative as possible. “The era of the messenger bag is now beginning.” I then explained why these still largely-unknown types of bags were so great for motorcyclists. And why they’d rule in the future. And why the Aerostich courier bags were made they way they were. It felt as though we were pioneering something entirely new.
A few years after we started making Messenger bags, other companies like Timbuktu (and many others) were started, and they made lighter-weight versions of messenger bags a common college bookstore commodity. About a decade later Chrome -- another company – added some contemporary hipster style and an automobile seat-belt buckle to the shoulder strap. And today there are countless other varieties from dozens of companies.
But the Aerostich messenger bag line (by size: 'letter', 'dispatch', 'courier', and 'parcel') remains the real-deal and ‘the original’ in terms of function, utility and durability. They are still the very best of this kind of bag available anywhere.
Recently we introduced a wax cotton variation in several colors. And a few years ago we added pink to the available colors of the Cordura models, and developed an optional internal organizer pocket system (available for the three larger sized bags).
Many specific patterning and stitching details set ours apart from the others. (One example - the lid-edge is turned and then hand topstitched. This is how a button-down shirt collar is made. It's neater, stronger and more expensive to do it this way. It makes a better flap. Almost everyone else's bags use cheaper machine-bound edging.)
Lastly, a special feature of our bags that I think is pretty cool is that for over fifteen years Aerostich messenger bags have been made by one individual here at Aerostich. And this person is a life-long motorcycle rider. During the years he's been employed here he's owned three or four different bikes. Recently he’s been riding a black Kawasaki Concourse. And he’s already been to North Carolina to visit his daughter and grandchildren on it a few times.
When you buy an Aerostich messenger bag, you are getting a hand-made classic American product, and an incredibly tough, practical, good bag.