Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (98)
- Great boots.Review by Grant
I’ve now had my Combat Touring Lites with cleated sole for one year and over 15,000 miles, and I’m very happy with them. They were stiff at first. But they’re basically comfortable after a couple weeks of near daily wear. In my opinion, you don’t need to soak them in water or anything else too strange. All they need is a dab of leather conditioner and some time on the feet. Mine have broken in nicely, the shifting is easy, and I often wear them all day at the office. The lower portion of the boots molded nicely to my feet within a month. I do wear Wigwam ski socks with them, though, since I tend to get a blister above my right heel with ordinary athletic crew socks.
They're fine for normal walking. I wouldn’t want to hike in them, but I have a desk job, and for everyday walking and getting around they're perfectly comfortable for all-day wear. I’ve also done my share of 400 mile rides where I’ve walked a few miles over the course of the day, and they’re fine for that, too.
I don’t do much maintenance. Every four or five months I clean them with a little water and a brush. Let dry, then rub some leather conditioner (I use Bick-4) into them, then apply a thin coat of Sno-Seal, and they’re good for another few months. I also bought a pair of replacement buckles if and when the originals break. But so far, so good.
The CTLs are wearing as one would expect from motorcycle boots. The shifting area on the toe of the left boot is scuffed up, but it doesn’t hurt the boot. The left boot’s sole is wearing faster than the right, which makes sense as that’s the boot I have on the ground when stopped. I figure that I’ll replace the soles next spring.
The boots are also comfortable in the north Texas heat. I’ve worn them all summer, and my feet have never been uncomfortable. They’re actually more comfortable and breathe better than my TCX (Oxtar) Gore-Tex lined mesh boots. I’m convinced that good heavy leather makes for a better and cooler all-round boot than anything with Gore-Tex.
- I bought the size 10 (Aerostich’s Euro 45) and it was perfect. My normal U.S. sized shoe is 11 to 11 ½.
- They’re heavy. But you get used to it.
- The toes are boxy. But you get used to it.
- I was initially annoyed at the laces sticking to the velcro, but I don't even notice it anymore. Its no big deal.
- My feet have never been wet in the CTLs.
- I thought I'd miss shin armor, but the thick leather does just fine against the typical pebbles and junk that hits my shins.
They’re a fine pair of boots. I hope to wear them for a long time. (Posted on 9/8/11)
- worth itReview by Adam
I got the LITES in April as I was looking forward to getting some miles under my belt for the summer, and felt that I had better have some sturdy footwear. The sticker shock was a blow to the bankbook, but I can tell you now (after thousands of miles) that they are worth every penny! They have a few "over-comeable" drawbacks - they are like wooden planks when you first get them - so make sure to wear them out and about as you would a new pair of hiking boots BEFORE you ride with them. They are NOT insulated, so make sure to account for that in sizing, as you will need 2 pairs of socks in cold weather. I recommend getting gerbings electric socks.
On the upside, once broken in, I no longer needed to carry "work shoes" for my work commute. I just wear the LITES all day and they are crazy comfy! When these wear out, I'll get them re-soled and re-vitalized and wear them out again.
Seriously - worth every penny! (Posted on 9/6/11)
- Boots are comfortable but had initial adjustment to shifting with them. I am getting the hang of it after 1 weeks wearing, and riding my BMW R1100RReview by Jeff
- Boots are comfortable and are breaking in without the soaking in water that was suggested. It was tough to shift initially with them (I have a BMW R1100R) but I am slowly getting the hang of it. Very superior protection to that which I had before. Alternative laces should be supplied with the boots since they are just way too long. (Posted on 7/26/11)
- Great BootsReview by Swinny
I have just received my Combat Lite Boots, Hhhmmmm, comfy and good lookin’.
I have a wide foot and ordered the size 12 Combat Lites. The boots were a perfect fit, straight out of the box. I read many reviews and consulted a mate who has two pair of Combat Lites, so I was prepared for a two day break in period involving wet and sore feet. Coupled with a pair of Merino Wool Luxury Socks (from your cattledog as well), they are boots you don't want to take off.
Shipping to Australia via Fedex went well, arriving half a day ahead of planned delivery time. (Posted on 7/15/11)
- combat litesReview by strombo
- The more I wear these the more I love them. The only thing I don't like are the laces that come with em. (Posted on 5/20/11)
- I am quite satisfied with these boots.Review by Art
- I've had these boots for a year now, and really like them. I did probably buy them a bit too large, but the addition of the optional insoles and heavy socks solve the problem. Better a little big than too small. Break in took very little time, and I did follow the break-in instructions. The quality of the boot, including the buckles, is excellent. (Posted on 4/27/11)
- Great BootsReview by HondoTX
- After years of procrastinating, even going to Duluth to try them on, I finally gave and bought these boots to replace my Justin Ropers. I'm glad I did. They are will made and should last longer than me. They have a bad side: Don't rob a liquor store wearing these boots. They are hard to run in and the retro-reflective tape in the back makes it easy to spot you running away in the forest at night. (Posted on 4/20/11)
- Great bootsReview by Skip
I purchased my Combat Lites at Christmas time due to the numerous gift certificates I received from generous friends and family members. I have been wearing the boots almost daily since then. I did not find them overly stiff. They are certainly heavier than the synthetic rubber, and canvas footwear we're all so accustomed to wearing, but a thick leather boot like this is naturally going to be stiffer. I've been wearing them on the Rider's Edge training range while teaching. That's a lot of walking over the course of the weekends, and I have no sore spots or blisters. Ultra Max grey socks are the only socks I own or wear. I love the speed lacing system, and the ankle buckle has not been a problem. I expect these boots to last me a very long time. The service representative at Aerostich advised me on the sizing. I wear a size 10--10 1/2, and the Euro size 45 has worked very well. I really like the secure feeling of the boots around the ankle, and the ridged soles work for me. They are flexible enough to comfortably operate the shift lever on my BMW 1200 GS. I believe the bee's wax I applied will make the Lites as water proof as can be expected.
Mandeville, LA (Posted on 4/5/11)
- Holy SchnikesReview by Kevin
I just purchased my Combat Touring Lites about 3 months ago. I had read reviews about breaking these boots in and was prepared for the worst. I was pleasantly surprised when I received mine in the mail. They fit perfect right off the bat. In fact, my first foray with these boots was a 3 mile walk with my dog. They felt great. They still feel great. I'm still wondering what the heck everyone is talking about these being stiff. I came from a pair of Joe Rocket boots. If you think Touring Lites are stiff, you have NO idea. These Lites are the bomb diggity. I find myself wearing them quite often, just because they are so comfortable and of course, bad ass looking. Oh yeah, they work great for riding too!
Thanks Aerostich. Can't wait to get a Darien Jacket to go with 'em! (Posted on 12/4/10)
- Aerostich Combat Lite BootsReview by tchilton
I have these boots for 3 weeks now and they where stiff as others have posted. The first week I walked them in to the ground and that worked to loosen them up. I ride 50 miles a day commuting to
school and i enjoy riding with them every day. (Posted on 11/16/10)