Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (42)
- A GREAT PIECE OF KITReview by Mike J.
I never write reviews as most things you buy these days don't warrant it. I did however Purchase a pair of Darian pants this summer and wanted to let you know that other than my motorcycle (vstrom 1000) this is the best investment I have made to date. I ride to work rain or shine and the Darian's are in my opinion the perfect pant for both commuting and or trekking cross country. They are cool even in mid to high eighty temps and completely waterproof even in the most challenging conditions thanks to the Gortex fabric. The ease of putting on or removing is unparalleled because of the full length zippers. The protection of the rip stop curdora along with the build in knee protection provides another level of comfort while riding.
Wearing shorts underneath allow me to go from riding apparel to beach attire in seconds. I'm writing this testimonial after riding to work in a thunderstorm and being completely dry. The triple digit gloves didn't hurt either. Anyway this Canadian (Nova Scotia) just wanted to say thanks for a great piece of kit and let you know you have an Aerostich customer for life. I also spread the word to all my adventure riding friends who will be purchasing soon.
Cheers (Posted on 7/6/16)
- SizingReview by David
I followed the Arostich sizing tool and was placed in 34 Regulars (I wear a 32x32 in jeans). I put about a 1000 miles on them this winter before I realized they just wouldn’t work for me.
Issue 1: The waist was gaping over just undershorts, and even after I added the hard shell hip pads still a little too loose. I gather they are meant to be worn as over-pants and not against the skin or over fleece liners.
Issue 2: They were too short. Seated in the saddle, the bottoms rode high, coming up over the top of my boots. Even after adjusting the height of the knee armor I couldn’t get them to ride lower.
Issue 3: Cold spots along the full length zippers that made winter riding uncomfortable, even wearing fleece liners.
So choose wisely when ordering.
All this being said, I really did like the way they are built and I’m going to try again with a different size. (Posted on 4/8/16)
- Great Pants with BAD ZIPPERReview by RickJ
- Add this review to the list of reviews praising the pants, but unhappy due to poor quality zippers. I've had my Darien pants for 2 years of relatively light use. After riding last weekend I noticed that the plastic fly zipper was broken. I called customer service, which informed me that they could replace the zipper for $75 plus shipping costs, and that they'd be able to get to them 4 to 6 weeks after they receive them! Really? I don't want to be without my riding pants for as long as 2 months and as much as $100, and they'd likely replace the zipper with yet another low quality zipper. It's surprising that this otherwise high quality product has such as low quality zipper. Finally, the indifference of the customer service rep I spoke with completely turned me off to any future with Aerostich. (Posted on 12/30/15)
- Bad ZippersReview by DoubleD
- Generally good, but my pants are in need of “another” set of zippers. I wear these pants a lot, but the zippers are not durable. The fly zipper won’t stay up and the leg zippers are separating. I replace them once before, and I like the concept of being able to get gear repaired vs buying new, but $50 for a new fly zipper and $75 to replace each leg zippers means $200??? I found a local person that will replace the leg zippers for $15 for both! I’ll lose the two way zipper, but come on, I only zip them one way anyway. At $360 for the pants these zippers should last 10 years of constant use. (Posted on 9/2/15)
- Bought another pair after they were stolen.Review by Karl
I had a pair of Darien pants for about a year. I use them for commuting and a ride from Minnesota to NYC. I found that someone broke into my locked luggage and stole my originals. These were good enough to order up the exact same pair again.
The fit of the pants is a little odd in that they are not cut like jeans. They are a tall cut. If I pull up the waist, it goes maybe an inch over my belly button. Not that this is a bad thing, just an observation. The leg length is good when I'm on my bike and they are roomy enough for jeans + long grundies when it's cold out. I like how utility and basic they are. The pads are easily adjustable. Sides zip completely from top to bottom, so you can just Chippendale them off rather than hop around on one foot trying to get your muddy boot through. (Posted on 10/28/14)
- Darien pants for the summerReview by John
- I have a Roadcrafter one piece, but it's quite warm during the summer in Georgia in stop and go city traffic. As a supplement I purchased a pair of Darien pants and paired them with a Tourmaster Flex 3 four season jacket and wear the armored mesh piece with the pants. This is a great combination, with the ventilation of the jacket and the ability to leave the pants on when walking in to work, the mall, etc., to maintain ATGATT. When the temperatures cool down I will go back to my Hi-Viz one piece. The best of both worlds. (Posted on 7/26/14)
- Well made - very solidReview by Bart
I recently bought a pair of Darian pants to replace my (badly) aging pair of Marsee Adventure Gear pants, which are no longer made. The Darians fit nicely over the same size jeans. The workmanship is top notch - very well sewn and sealed. They started out quite stiff, but they're beginning to loosen up a little. It has been quite cool (for California) with temperatures below freezing, and these have kept me quite comfortable at 75 mph on my daily commute on my naked (no fairings) motorcycle.
I look forward to replacing the jacket with a Darian jacket - the Aerostich quality is quite compelling. Good gear, well made here in the USA. Would definitely buy again.
(Posted on 12/19/13)
- Mixed ReviewReview by John
- I've had these pants for a couple seasons and can say that when the zippers work, the pants are wonderful. I ordered the same size I wear in a street pant and they fit over my street clothes perfectly. I do tuck my street pants into boots if it's raining as these ride up enough that street pants poke out under them and will get wet, but other than that the fit is just right. And the finish is fantastic. I have these in black and can get away with wearing the Darien pants with any of my gear, into store, etc., without them seeming out of place or jumping out at you – very non-descript. They are also entirely, perfectly, completely waterproof in the worst conditions I've ridden in. That said, I've had two zipper failures now, and while the folks at Aerostich could not have been more cordial or collegial, I have to wonder if I would buy these again. I had the fly zipper bust open at one point and last week at the far end of a loop ride, I had a leg zipper stop come off and the bottom zipper with it - I had to ride home without the pants. I dont think i put unusual stresses on the zippers because of my size or misuse, and havent worn the pants more than thirty or forty times, so am having some concern over the failures. I'm going to send it in for repairs and then figure out whether to keep them or sell them. (Posted on 9/19/13)
- Darien Zipper FailureReview by Joseph
Purchased Darien Pants and Jacket as Christmas present from my wife in December 2012. On 28 August Aerostich refunded the price of the pants plus shipping I paid to return them three times for failed zippers.
I ride year round in Seattle WA and love the Darien suit, but the new "waterproof" zippers are very weak. In fact the second time in I requested and received the old style zipper and several teeth fell out of it within a few days. So, my message to Aerostich is that your competitors have improved their product over the last 13 years and if you want to stay on top, then don't make changes to your zippers without testing them a few thousand times. My last pair went five years before a zipper failure. Lastly and most importantly, thank you for the excellent customer service. (Posted on 9/19/13)
- Snap broke first time onReview by Martin E.
- When I put the pants on for the first time the right side waist snap just came off. I would send them back but it's easier just to get them fixed locally. The fit is a bit tighter than my FirstGear pants (same waist size) and the material is quite stiff making them somewhat awkward to get on and off over my boots in the parking lot at work... maybe they'll loosen up as they break in. Anyway they do keep out the rain and are warm enough on cold mornings. (Posted on 9/14/13)