Here is a book about hard-core, non-stop, record-crushing, subversive, all-weather, bad-ass motorcycle endurance riders—and in particular the peeled-back story of John Ryan, a living legend motorcyclist made of resolve, discipline, toughness and brains. Along the road you’ll meet an impressive range of other extreme riding obsessives, and gain a deeply informed understanding of motorcycling. A captivating read, impossible to put down. By Melissa Holbrook Pierson. Hardbound, 5.5”×8.3”, 208 pp."As I entered the back door of the lobby in Jacksonville and aimed myself toward the dining room, my eye was drawn to some activity on the other side of the glass doors at the main entrance. The exact replica of John Ryan, distinctive Aerostich and all, was dismounting from a GS. But no, this was John, with his impossible I-have-done-what-few-mortal-men-can-do, so-what-are-you-looking-at? Bearing. He inclined his head to pull off a black helmet covered with stickers. I knew that one of them read, "If I have to understand don’t bother to explain," an inversion of the common dullard's claim "If I have to explain it you wouldn’t understand." A short time before I was falling backward onto an anonymous print bedspread in a riding-induced stupor in Florida, he had managed to get the engine to light up. It had leaked so much fuel over his left leg during the fifteen-hour ride, covering 929 miles, that the dining-room staff took aside a patron at the breakfast table where Ryan had just taken a seat and asked him to "kindly remove that man" from the room. Instead, Ryan reluctantly removed the suit and put it outside with the bike. - from The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (5)
- Excellent Book !!!Review by gymply
- Great read that illustrates the history of the Iron Butt Association and some of its main characters. Also, quite an introspective read that touches on divorce, ageing, and how riding a motorcycle can cure current ills and (re)excite the dormant soul. I really enjoyed this book. (Posted on 12/14/15)
- The Man Who would stop at nothing has stoppedReview by Dan
This book is a great read and hard to put. down. I met John a few years ago and he is definitely a quiet giant. Unfortunately he was struck and killed by a motorist on Oct 13, 2013. He is an icon of the LD riding community. Ride in Paradise John
(Posted on 10/21/13)
- Great book!Review by OwnerofGus
- This book is really good, I mean really, really good...as in hard to put down once you start reading good. If you like reading about motorcycle riding you will like this book. (Posted on 6/20/12)
- Great readReview by Chris
- This book is great, Melissa is a terrific writer. anybody that is a motorcycle fan will enjoy reading this. Melissa Pierson's other book, The Perfect Vehicle, is amazing also. (Posted on 1/6/12)
- The Man Who Would Stop (reading) at NothingReview by Steve
Between the covers you will find several touching and interwoven stories about real motorcyclists’ adventures, heartbreaks, struggles and triumphs. An eloquently written, deeply thoughtful read about enduring and excelling both in life and on the road. I literally finished the book in one sitting.
Do yourself a favor. Buy this book
(Posted on 1/3/12)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- Eco Saver Delivery Times: 10-14 days
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.