How about riding out your own back door for high adventure and long distances on just an average smallish bike and with some simple luggage and gear? Is it possible to travel unsupported and independently in such a manner? Yes, and the experience of traveling this way captures the most time-honored essences of motorcycling.
This book consists of 14 pages of summary text, with the balance arranged into appendices that cover such topics as food, improvised repairs, helpful resources for further information, useful websites, state-by-state listings of good roads, and bike-friendly hangouts.
Detailed examples of gear and its organization are based on real-life experience and offered as a starting point for your own trips. It fits readily in a pocket or tank bag and contains a distillation of experience, and information that will be a useful starting point for the beginning lightweight motorcycle tourist as well as a handy reference for an experienced rider. Saddle-stitched, 4"×6", 84 pp., b/w illus.
Share Your Review
Share your comments and experience with Aerostich products. Please login (click here) to the Aerostich web site (logging-in is required to post a review). All reviews are screened before posting.
If you have comments about product selections, pricing, ordering, delivery, business policies or other customer service issues, please do not use a product review. Instead, directly for a resolution.
Customer Reviews (9)
- Great little bookReview by Mark
- I opened the book, and wanted to leave immediately. Lots of useful information, a little humor here and there, and good to have in hand. (Posted on 7/31/16)
- Nothing really earth shattering...Review by JBHawley
...but there are many tid-bits of motobike traveling/camping informaiton that make it nearly worth the 5$ price. Some of the interweb links in the back few pages are defunk but nothing that google can't find with some encouragement.
A nice bucket list of US roads to ride are posted.
Capitalism is king and I was a pawn for buying this small rag. I already knew most of this stuff, but it was still a easy and fun read. If nothing else it give mes something to read on the crapper since my 2012 Aerostich catelog is in tatters. (Posted on 12/24/12)
- Mustard seedReview by Urban Coyote
- I've given these to my young nephews and out of 7 two decided to take long motorcycle trips between school and work to figure a few thing out . I feel like this 5.00 dollar book is not only entertaining buy can actually change your life no its not the Bible or the Tao Te Ching but inspiring non the less. (Posted on 8/13/12)
- Great things come in small packagesReview by Marc
Great inspiration and an attitude adjustment if you have been reading too many road/camping tests of the latest and greatest stuff. The book sets a positive mood, then moves into lists and lists of great resources.
Highly recommended! (Posted on 6/15/12)
- GREAT INFO + GREAT VALUEReview by Tim
This book packs a mean punch. I love the size, perfect for stuffing in a pocket or saddle bag. Great thoughtful information that is timeless. No matter what type of traveling light or heavy, this book has great tips and ideas. I particularly like that it has things for those of us who ride middle and smaller sized bikes for travel.. 350cc to 750cc on secondary roads....I also plan on getting another copy or two as a gift for friends...
I'll repeat what was said before there are other good books, but this is really the one to start with.. (Posted on 12/28/11)
- Save your timeReview by Abby
After months of scouring forums, listening to other people's opinions and researching until I couldn't see straight a friend handed me this book THREE DAYS before I left on an eight week excursion.
Save yourself the time and sifting through useless information - START WITH THIS BOOK and then collect further information you might need. I think this encompasses more than the majority of what you need to know. (Posted on 10/26/11)
- QUTEReview by TRIUMPH
- NICE LITTLE BOOK.IENJOYED THE READ.I KEEP IN MY SADDLE BAG. (Posted on 7/27/11)
- It's small, it's short, b...Review by Bradley Tyson
- It's small, it's short, but I'm always reading it. I give them to friends that ride or camp. Full of great info. (Posted on 1/23/08)
- I was given one of these ...Review by Ralph Lillich
- I was given one of these by a gentleman in Dawson City last summer. He signed and dated it. I thought it was really neat so I did the same and then passed it on to some one else on the road that I thought worthy. Maybe some day it will make it back to me. Full of neat little hints. I could relate since we camped every night for a month from Houston to Alaska and back. Can't wait to go again next summer on my 91 GS this time. I will have one of these with me and do the same thing with it as the last one. (Posted on 5/1/07)
- International Orders
- Currency conversion rates are close estimates only. All sales are processed in dollars (USD) and conversions are made by card-processing banks on the actual transaction date.
- USA Only
- ECO Saver delivery times are not guaranteed.
- SURFACE and AIR delivery options are guaranteed.
|Orders||Eco Saver||Surface||Priority/3day||2 Day*||1 Day*||International Air***|
|under $ 50||$4-$8||$8-$13||$14-$19||$20-$26||$30-$36||$ 20.95-$ 60.95|
|$ 51-$ 100||$7-$12||$11-$17||$17-$23||$24-$30||$36-$42||$ 25.95-$ 80.95|
|$ 101-$ 200||N/A||$14-$19||$21-$27||$28-$36||$42-$50||$ 30.95-$ 100.95|
|$ 201-$ 400||N/A||$16-$21||$25-$31||$36-$42||$50-$58||$ 40.95-$ 120.95|
|Over $ 400||N/A||$18-$23||$29-$35||$42-$48||$56-$66||$ 60.95-$ 150.95|
- Surface transport only to US addresses.
- *SATURDAY DELIVERY: Add $15 to 1 Day or 2 Day service.
- **Add $15 to 1 day or 2 day for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. (Extended area charge of $12 may apply to rural areas.)
- ***Call for international rates. Depending upon country, most charges will be between these rates. Duties and Taxes are not included in the shipping price. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.
- AFO/APO Addresses: Orders will be shipped Priority Mail.
All in-stock Aerostich products and RiderWearHouse Catalog items ordered before 2pm CST will be shipped within 2 business days. (If a specific size and color of Roadcrafter suit is not in inventory, we will notify you with an estimated delivery date. Production time varies.) All standard Aerostich items may be sent back for a refund, but the item(s) being returned must be in new condition.
Buying direct from the United States is easy and convenient. Credit cards, fax machines, direct dial telephone service, and air shipping allow easy transactions between countries. For estimates on Duty & VAT costs, visit http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/, a third party import duty calculator.
We do not charge or cover duties, taxes or brokerage fees. FedEx may charge brokerage fees for some countries. You will be responsible for these charges.